Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Week 7 at the MTC

I can't believe how fast the time is going by now, its been 7 weeks now since I've been in the MTC and I leave here in 13 days. This last week was a super awesome week. The spirit has been so strong. We were able to do some work this week with real investigators. It has been pretty awesome. Last Tuesday the devotional was amazing. I remember exactly the things that were said and the way it impressed me. It was one of those moments when you are listening and thinking and the spirit is filling in the cracks and giving you impressions. I don't even really know how to describe it, but it was awesome and I could seriously feel the spirit telling me things and giving me revelation about the things that were being said about the atonement and about our role in the plan of Salvation as missionaries. It was just an awesome way to start out an awesome week.
The next day we found out that our TRC appointment for the week was going to be David. I don't know if I already told you what the TRC is, but it is our teaching at the end of each week to practice the things that we have been practicing. It's like the test at the end of the week at school. David is this inactive member of the church my teacher has been bringing for people to teach at the TRC. It was quite the experience being able to teach him. We got to plan and do activities and things specifically to the investigator, just like on the mission, and the lesson ending up going really well. David had started reading the Book of Mormon again because of a challenge given to him last week in the TRC. He had read 85 pages this last week. It was pretty amazing. During the lesson he was pointing out things he liked and things he didn't understand. David is well on his way, but I still don't really feel like he really understands how important it is to him. He knows that the church is good for him and can better his life, but I don't think he understands its real eternal worth. That is something that the other missionaries in our district are going to try to help him with this week, with a little of our help planning.
Also we had a couple of people we called from the Referral Center that are doing really great. We had this one girl, Angela, that lives in San Antonio, Texas. She is going to school there. We had been talking to her and found out she has been talking to a lot of other elders here too. We found out she has decided to be baptized and knows all of these things are true, but hasn't even met with the missionaries in San Antonio. She's just been talking to missionaries here in the training center via chat and calls and every other week with missionaries in her home town. We found all this out and we called her on Saturday and I got her to promise to go to church in San Antonio and meet with the Elders there and talk to them about getting baptized. When we called back to check on her on Monday it was so awesome. She just kept going off about how much she loved church, and how there were girls there her age, and she found out about institute and has started to go now. She is going to help out with a youth conference this weekend. She described how she could feel the spirit so strong during church and then when she left she could tell the difference, and she was excited because she met sister missionaries there and she was telling us and she said, "You know they have girl elders here?" She is so on track it is awesome. It was to be our last call, we were going to make sure she was set with the missionaries there and make it our last call so we could focus on other referrals. I told her we weren't going to call her back until the day before we leave here to tell her goodbye and she was so funny, she said, "Oh, don't worry, you can call me anytime that day, or anytime this week, or you can even call me everyday until you leave if you want." I reassured her and told her we would call again before we leave and made sure she would keep talking to the missionaries in San Antonio, so it was a pretty awesome call.
Then after that call we called a Spanish women living in NYC. She was one of the very first Spanish calls I made here calling to see if she got her DVD. She said she received a Bible but not the DVD she wanted. I told her I would re-send it and then call her again in about a week or two to check again. So I was calling to check again and she said she got it and was really receptive to all we had to say. She asked us what the difference between the Catholic Church and our church was and we went right into the first lesson about the restoration of the gospel through the Prophet Joseph Smith. We ended up teaching the first lesson for the first time to a real investigator in Spanish and it was awesome. I really could only understand about 50-75% of what she was saying, but I could get the gist of everything and the spirit was definitely there. She was very receptive and we were actually able to send a Book of Mormon and the missionaries to her house so I think our first time went pretty well.
I'm just going to finish with my testimony, I know this church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is true and I know this is the Lord's work. The spirit is just so strong in the things we do here I can't even begin to doubt what I am doing. I love my Savior and I can't wait to be able to share this joy with the people in Paraguay in 13 days. Yo sé que Jesucristo es mi Salvador.

No comments:

Post a Comment