Saturday, October 23, 2010

Week 49 in the Mission, Change 8 Week 5, Missionary Changes a Week Early

This week was the craziest week ever. I didn’t tell you, our President is going to Buenos Aires this coming week for a seminar with the area presidency so all of the changes were this last week. All the new missionaries came on Thursday, all the missionaries had their changes on Friday. Today we sent out mattresses to the old guys going home this next week so they could live their last week in trio companionships. It was so busy, yesterday especially, the last 3 days in a row I have got up at 5:30am in the morning, left the house by 6:00am, and haven’t got back to the house until after 10:30pm when I was supposed to be in bed. That wasn’t really caused by changes though, we had 4 missionaries go home this week early, and just one going home is a lot of extra work for me. The fact that it was change week just made it worse. It made it a really sad week, the first missionary that went home was supposed to go home this next week, he went home 9 days early and wasn’t able to have an honorable mission. I have no idea what happened, but it sounded like something from before because I picked up the phone on Friday to a really frantic Stake President that wanted to talk to President about this missionary and on Monday he was on a plane. Then Monday morning as I was going to the airport with this missionary, I found out another one was going home at 6:00pm the same day, so I had to get the missionary on the plane in a hurry, get back to the office, and take this other missionary to immigrations to sign out of the country, all before 12:30 when Immigrations closes. The second missionary went home because of some issues with depression, he started having panic attacks and couldn’t work, and then he had one so bad he couldn’t feel his face or hands, so they decided it was better to send him home where there is better medication and he can recover better and be less stressed. He came to Paraguay a change(a change is six weeks) before me, so he had about 14 months in the mission. Then on Tuesday, I wasn’t able to leave the office because I had to figure out what we were going to do with all the missionaries going home. We have 20 missionaries going home next week and all of their companions got new companions on Friday, but the missionaries need to be working until Wednesday, and they all had to come yesterday to go to the temple and do all the going home things, so on Tuesday I just sat down and called every one of them to find out if the house was big enough for three people, thought about how much it would cost to send back Elders that were in areas far away, if it would just be better to have them work a week here in Asunción, things like that, so I just made phone call after phone call coordinating things. Then, Tuesday night I got the flight plans for another Elder going home, we’d had this Elder in the office for a while that had a problem with his leg and he couldn’t walk. He had been going back and forth to the hospital to figure things out so we wouldn’t have to send him home, but they weren’t able to get him better, so we sent him to Buenos Aires to get checked by the area doctor and he still didn’t get any better, so they finally decided to just send him home to get better and then he could come back out to the mission. The only sad part is they are going to reassign him to a Stateside or Canada mission, so he won’t be able to come back to Paraguay. That one was the worst one because you could tell how much he didn’t want to leave. We took some pictures in the airport before he had to go through security and he just kept on giving us hugs and talking about different things because he didn’t want to go through airport security. It was really sad, but he’ll get back out there, that was on Wednesday. Wednesday afternoon, before the airport, President got a call from another stake president, and the same thing happened as what had happened on Friday, and another missionary was on a plane on Thursday. That made the day extremely busy because all the new missionaries also got here that day. I had to take this missionary to immigrations and to the airport, and do all the normal stuff that I do for new missionaries, which honestly I still haven’t finished, but I am going to have a nice really relaxed week next week to get really caught up. Anyway, that was also a super sad experience because I always heard about this missionary and how much he would just complain about Paraguay and how much better the states were, but while I was standing in line with him at the airport we started talking about what he was going to do when he got home and I could really tell he didn’t want to go home. It was not a fun experience, and I have to take 20 more missionaries to the airport next week, but I guess at least they are going when they are supposed to, so it won’t be such a sad experience for me, just a little bit of a trunky one.
Anyway, as for your questions about the robbery, I didn’t lose any money because I haven’t taken out any money yet. At the beginning of the month I took that one missionary with the bad leg to the airport to go to Buenos Aires and he needed a visa to get into Argentina so I bought it for him with my mission money and the money hasn’t been reimbursed back onto my card yet, it should have got there by now, but I am still penny-less. Anyway, I don’t think it was just one person who robbed our house though. Everyone thinks they were just looking for things they could sell really easily without anyone really asking questions. They actually stole 3 watches, it was just a coincidence they only stole one of everything else, they really just didn’t find anything else, which is weird because they tore the house apart, literally with the door. Our mission president reimbursed all the money that was stolen, but everything else was just lost, but don’t worry, Elder Williamson in San Lorenzo gave me his watch so I had two, so I’m okay, and I mostly just use my cell phone as a watch anyway. I haven’t worn a watch my whole mission actually. The only thing I used that watch for were my exercises in the mornings.
Oh, and as for things I might need I am doing pretty good. I saved half of everything like everyone said so I still have 4-5 brand new white shirts that have still never been worn. I want to wait until I get out of the office to start using them because that is when the real wear is going to come. Same thing with the socks, except a few I had to pull out early, but they will last just fine. The only thing that is getting really thin are my pants, but I’m getting them fixed up and they should last the rest of my mission, I’m worried about the shoes though, but I’ll make it, I don’t want to really buy too much new stuff, and there are a lot of people here that can replace shoe soles, so I will be just fine.
Well, I am going to have to cut it short, this hasn’t been much of a P-day, we spent all morning driving mattresses to companionships all over the greater Asunción area and fixing random problems. I still have to fill out new temple recommends for President to sign before he leaves for Argentina, so I’m going to go, I love you all so much, have a great week! Love, Elder Adamson V

No comments:

Post a Comment