Monday, June 28, 2010

Week 32 in Paraguay, Change 5 Week 7

Sounds like the home is a little busy right now. I`m not going to lie, I was looking forward to reading everyone`s reaction about my new change, but I guess I kind of just got on the computer a little too early, it is only 7:30 there. It seems like mom always writes me at about five AM. So for all who didn`t read last week, I got a pretty big change this transfer. I haven`t gone anywhere yet, I`m still in San Lorenzo right now, but on Wednesday (July 1st 2010) I`m moving into the office in Asuncion to be the mission`s next secretary. I`ll be going into the office the same day as the new Mission President. It looks like I`ll be working pretty close with him and getting to know him really well. I still don`t know how I really feel about the change. Most of the missionaries don`t talk so great about being in the office and from the way it sounds I`m going to be in there a long time because I`ll be the first secretary to the new President. Because of that too, I will be getting trained for 5 weeks when office training is usually only 3 weeks. Elder Peterson, the secretary right now, is going to be my companion/trainer for the rest of this change starting on Wednesday. There are a few perks to being in the office though, good food, air conditioning, and best of all, I`m getting a drivers licence. Yet, I will really miss it here in San Lorenzo and actually going out and finding and teaching and just being with the people. I will have some proselyting time still, but just from 6-9 at night. The rest of the time I`ll be working in the office.
Anyway, so that is the really big news right now, I`m going into the office, but at least my clothes with last for sure now, right?
Other news, the world cup is still going on and USA was eliminated on Saturday.
It is all we hear about now, when we give lessons and from drunks in the street, everyone seems to know. I really want Paraguay to win and advance on Tuesday because they have never gotten further than they are at right now, but that might just add to the USA comments, but still, I want them to win. We are all into the world cup in the house, we have the bracket posted on the wall and we have been filling it out and talking about who we think is going to win and what not, right now its looking like Uruguay, Brazil, Spain and Germany in the quarter finals, but Argentina has a really good team too, so that game, Argentina and Germany, will be an interesting one.
Anyway, more than that, I`m going to try and answer some of the questions I didn`t get to last week.
How are you doing? I`m doing really well, pretty much all I could think about this whole last week though has been going into the office. It is a different kind of change because I knew so long before it actually was going to happen, and its been pretty much all I have my mind on. It has been hard saying goodbye to people too, I love the ward here so much and I really don`t want to leave, not to mention I was about 100% positive before changes I would just be staying because Elder Williamson was going home. In anticipation of leaving, it has been nice to have the whole week already knowing. I`m not scrambling to pack and say goodbye to everyone like I had to do in my last area because I found out the same day I had to leave. All in all I am pretty excited, I`ll be working right with the President and maybe I`ll learn a lot of good things in the office that will help me later in life. I`m going to have to work a lot with lawyers too because of missionary visas and things, so my legal Spanish is going to get pretty good. I`ll be able to have intelligent conversations with Gary when I get home in Spanish, maybe. It will be interesting dealing with the government here.
Was the info about BYU helpful to your ward mission leader? Yes, it was very helpful, and we got everything all set up for him, but he is just a little down on the whole idea right now. Pretty much everything he looks at and does to get into BYU relies on how well he can speak English. He feels like its just too much for him, so he has been a little depressed about the whole task lately. He understands English pretty well, its just his speaking, he is really self-conscious of his pronunciation, and he isn`t really improving as quickly as he would like. Once he gets the English down it is all really easy, but the English is the hardest part. We have been working on that a lot and I think he is a little more excited about it now. He just really wants to get there and feels like he doesn`t have all that much help to help him learn English, but he`s getting it, it`ll just take a little more time.
How is your head, all healed up now? Yes sir, all better, there is a little bit of a scar where it was the worst, but you can`t tell unless you look for it. I think it`ll go away completely before I get home, so it`s all good.
How is the work? The work is great, I`m working with Elder Job and Ventura right now so they can get to know the rest of the area and we are getting them a lot of help again. San Lorenzo is a tough area, it always has been, but it is starting to show some growth, they are going to be having a baptism next week, and we are working with this other girl that is really cool named Rosi, she so far has kept with all of her commitments and has a baptismal date for July.
What is your weather like as you are in winter right now? It has been pretty cold because it is so humid, but some days are still really hot too, it feels like Spring was in NY, they are about the same, the Paraguayans think it is super cold though.
Anyway, not too much time left, I`ll be in the office on Wednesday, and a very very important note, my P-days are now going to be on Satuday, so write me on Fridays, or just continue on Mondays and I`ll get it on Saturday, but if you want to send me something this week, I am going to have another P-day on Saturday, I love you all so much, Elder Adamson V

1 comment: