Saturday, September 4, 2010

Week 42 in Paraguay Change 7 Week 4

So this week was a week of changes, there is a whole new office staff now! Elder Payne and Elder Daily came into the office and started working on Tuesday, you know what that means, I am the oldest office Elder other than the assistants with time in the office and in the mission, how crazy is that! Elder Daily and I did come together though, so I guess I can’t really say I have more time than him in the mission, but now that I think about it, I do think I got off the plane before him...

Anyway, Elder Decker, the old records guy, left on Tuesday and is a Zone Leader now in Limpio, he only trained Elder Payne for one day and Elder Payne has been working like crazy ever since. Elder Gage on the other hand is training Elder Dailey for two and a half weeks, so we still get to have some fun before he leaves the office. Elder Dailey is a great guy, the last three days in a row Elder Gage couldn’t come with us into our area because of divisions and things, so Elder Dailey and I have been teaching together already for a while now. He has a lot of stories and we get along great, we kind of teach a little differently, but that always happens with new companions, we’ll figure that out really quick. The office has been pretty hectic lately. The new mission President is still trying to get everything up to date and make sure everything works really efficiently. He is all about efficiency, which is giving us a lot of work now, but I think in the long run it’ll give the office Elders a lot less work. They will start working in their areas a lot earlier in the day, I think once the office staff that is in the office now gets out, President will change it so it so office elders will get out into to their teaching and finding areas sooner in the day. I’ve had tons of assignments lately just proof-reading things, loading things into this new system President has made, and going over computer files to see how we can put everything into this system to make it easier and work faster. It has been a lot of work, but it really makes the time go by so fast, I can’t believe it is September already, I’ve been in the office for over two months now and I feel like I just got here. Oh, and originally President had told me I would be in the office for 6-8 months, but he is making it sound now that everyone will leave the office once they have been in the office for 6 months, which would put me out of the office right at the new year, so who knows, maybe I’ll be getting out of here a lot sooner than I had thought before, I won’t get my hopes up though, just in case, I’d rather leave thinking I was going to stay than stay thinking I was going to leave, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, so a lot of good things have been happening lately, usually it is really hard to find new investigators in our area, but lately we haven’t been doing too many contacts and investigators are just coming out of nowhere. We went back to this old investigator this week, this really old lady that can hardly move, but has a really big family, just to see if we might be able to teach her daughter a little more because she had seemed kind of interested, but instead we met the ladies grandson that has 15 years, and he was really humble and really awesome, we had a really good lesson one with him and said a prayer on our knees with him before we left, we are going to be going back to him tonight, we’ll see what happens. Then after that we got another new going back to an old investigator, then another off of a contact, then another in a contact. The last one we got last night is a professional soccer player here in Paraguay and was super nice and humble, but I think it is going to be hard to get him to go to church because of his career, plus he told us that he has a girlfriend and because of his career he doesn’t get to see her much so he goes to her house on the weekends, but he really wants to learn and hopefully that is enough to change his life.

Our family has been doing really well too, they didn’t go to church last week, I think because of the mom, but this week we were able to teach them how to mark scriptures and pray to receive answers and I think that has really been helping them to discover the truth of the gospel. Thanks for the help, with why they didn’t like church, but I think the problem was more of the opposite, the church is definitely reverent, so reverent you could fall asleep sometimes, the average age of our ward is probably around 45-50, and our investigators that went are 19 and 23 and they thought the meeting was boring, there were a few members that went up to give their talks and just read from the Liahona, so it is understandable for their first time there, but we went over a few things with them the last couple weeks to try and help them get more out of the meeting so it isn’t as boring. I just keep praying they’ll decide to come back though, we put a baptismal date with them for the 14th, but every time we go over there the mom tells us to have patience with them, and the son just got a new job where he has to work on Sunday and he doesn’t even have any attendance yet, so we’ll see what really happens, but I am going to make sure they get baptized before I leave the office at least, we are trying to push for them to get baptized before Elder Gage leaves, but I don’t know if it is going to work out that way, but we are praying for them and they are definitely progressing, we just have to get them more excited about committing to go to church every Sunday.

I will try to do some epic things this week to make the letter even more awesome than usual. Spiritual thought of the day, something I thought about during studies, we were looking over good quotes from the last mission President and his wife and one that his wife used to always say was, “If you want to be great, go to Alma 48” that’s the chapter that talks about how if all men would and ever would be like Moroni, Hell would have no power. I thought of how Mormon was writing that part and I wondered, maybe Mormon named his son Moroni because he was writing this part and he wanted to name his son after the example of Captain Moroni, just a thought, I wanted to look at the dates to maybe see if it was possible, tell me what you think, also I was thinking in GuaranĂ­, which is an ancient American language, when you put “i” on the end of a word it means the same thing but little, and Moron was a named from Jerusalem right, maybe Moroni just means little Moron, or like the son of Moron, maybe that is where the name came from, just interesting thoughts I had today.



P.S. About the letter you got, I didn’t type it, the President’s wife did, but I did create a Word Document out of it with Mail Merge fields so I could Merge the names of all the Elders, I printed it, matched the pictures, and put them in the envelopes, but I didn’t write it, only proof read it, love you all again! ¡Rohayhu che familiakuĂ©ra! (I love you my family)

No comments:

Post a Comment