Monday, January 11, 2010

Week 7 in Paraguay

So I was just writing you an awesome email and had already spent 15 minutes writing it all and the guy here closed out my computer when one of the other missionaries went to pay, so it isn´t going to be as awesome now, but I will try to make it just as good. Elder Dennis and I are still together and everything is going really well. It was a pretty slow week last week because of changes and everything going on, but we are still working pretty hard. Elder Dennis got a letter from President last week with all of the goals he has for our Rama for this next change, pretty much what he wants done before Elder Dennis goes home. He wants us to have 40 people in church, an Elder´s Quorum President and a Ward Mission leader. Just to kind of put that in perspective yesterday we had eight people in church and zero of them were investigators. Only two of them have callings and one of those two is the branch president, so we have a lot of work ahead of us, but I know if we try our best we will be able to get the goals before the end of the change. Things are already starting to look up a little in the direction we are trying to go. We have been working a lot lately with some less actives and it has been great to see them develop their trust in us and allow us to help them with their problems. Pretty much the biggest issue right now is the massive amount of gossip we have going on in the Rama. So many people just don´t want to go to church because someone offended them by talking to someone else about something or other. Others are just offended because they talked to someone about something and then other members were talking about them. There is also a problem with people living one way on Sunday and a different way during the week. So we have all these doubts and things we are trying to work with to try to get these people back to church. With our investigators, we had 4 people who were for sure going to go to church and none of them showed up. Two we know were in the hospital with relatives that are really sick, but the other two, one of which was supposed to be baptized this week, we have no idea what happened. The one girl now is going to have to be baptized next week. We figure to get the goal we are going to have to reactivate and we have to baptize about 10 new people before the end of the change. We have this one family of 7 people that seems pretty interested and really wants to listen and do what is right, but the only problem is they don´t want to commit to going to church. Their family would really help the Rama though so we are going to really try and solve their doubt this week. Pretty much though we are going to do a lot of finding this week to get some people to teach and baptize.
As for the new apartment we are going to be moving in this Thursday. I got some sweet videos of us moving in Elder Brazier and his comp Elder Gumiel, but we didn´t have any beds and things, we just bought them today and they are going to be delivered on Thursday, so we are going to move in then.
As for the rain, its raining right now, we get a lot of storms here, my companion says that it is a lot more rain than anywhere else in Paraguay. It keeps it pretty cool here. I´m actually pretty lucky because I´ll be here all summer and though it is really hot here, it is one of the coolest places in Paraguay. Can´t wait to see where I am next summer... I´m going to stay here in Pedro Juan for at least 2 more changes because when Elder Dennis goes home I have to be here to show the new missionary the area.
I´ve been pretty healthy here, luckily, all I have had was that one time I was sick. I believe the worm I had in my foot is spelled pique, but I´m not sure, it might be a GuaranĂ­ word in which case that would be a wrong spelling. I have pitures of it though I am sending home this week. I finally got all my pictures on CD´s so I´m sending home 4 CDs of pictures home this week, MTC and all up to right now, hope you enjoy it, it takes about 4 weeks for packages to get out there but I hope you enjoy it once it gets there.
The missionary Scott played basketball with from my mission was from my zone. He just went home last change and he is from Boise. His name is Elder McMurdie.

No comments:

Post a Comment