Monday, January 10, 2011

Week 60 in Paraguay Change 10 Week 4

I'm back into the field!!! It is so great being back out working all day, it has been a little hard to adjust though, it is just like the beginning of my mission again, on Thursday night I was not feeling very good at all, and right when I got home I had some chivivi guasu, if I haven't told you what that is I think you can guess; what it is, my stomach hurt and I didn't throw up, if you still don't get it maybe you can find some Guaraní translation on the Internet, anyway, I was pretty sick, I felt a little better by the time I went to bed. By the time I woke up I didn't feel very good again. We had a lunch appointment with a lady who is a little direct and gets offended a little easy. The night before she gave me a hamburger and I told her I would just carry it out with me because I didn't feel good and she thought I didn't like it and was going to throw it out in the street. When we got there for lunch the next day, I had to eat everything. I felt terrible though, and worse because the food was great, and then a few hours later just walking around doing some contacts I threw everything up. I felt a lot better and we just kept on working and as the night went on I just felt worse and worse and we got to our house and it all came up again. The next day, Saturday, I felt a whole lot better and since then I've been great, I think my body was just a little shocked because of the change from air conditioning all day to extreme heat. It has been up between 35-40C all week, which is right around 100 degrees Fahrenheit, it has been so hot, but don't worry, I drink tons of water, and my companion and I wear sombreros all the time. The little straw hats that farmers wear. The word is really funny because I knew that sombrero before meant hat, but now I know that sombra means shade and you add ero to the ends of things to make it like a person that does something or makes something, so sombrero kind of literally means shade maker, cool huh? Anyway, there is not too much time left, just to answer a few questions quick, my new companion's name is Elder Bustamante, he is from Mendoza, Argentina. He is really dark so a lot of people mistake him for a Paraguayan because the people from Argentina the people know here are usually white because they're from Buenos Aires. He is trying really hard to learn English here on his mission and has 10 months here in the mission and already speaks really well. We made a rule we only speak Spanish in the street and English in the house. The area is out in the middle of nowhere, its actually kind of close to the city, but it is huge and full of farms and silent. There are tons of people that speak Guaraní, so I can finally use the things I´ve learned and start to use it a little more, no one really speaks Guaraní at all in Asuncion. It is seen more as a kind of poorer class language and the people in Asuncion are not poor. Yet there are a few prideful Paraguayans also there that speak Guaraní fluently just because they are super educated and Guaraní is a national language. In my new area no one speaks Spanish or Guaraní fluently, they speak what you call Jopará, a mix between the two, they don´t understand you if you speak straight Spanish, and they wouldn´t understand pure Guaraní either, even though I wouldn´t know since I can´t speak it. It is fun to kind of mix them and throw in what I know. I´m glad now I was in the office to get my Spanish a little better because people don't speak very good Spanish here. It has been an absolute delight to be out in the field again. It has been really hard, but it is so rewarding, we have had a few challenges with investigators getting ready for their baptisms though, but that just comes with the work. The investigators are great, we are finding a lot of people to teach. I´m just about out of time, I love you so much, I don't know how next week is going to work because I have to be in the office next week for all of changes with my mission secretary replacement to teach him, I'm going in next Monday morning and will leave the mission office for good, on Thursday. I'm going to get skipped a P-day, so I probably will only be able to write a quick letter next week, but I still love you, love you so much, Elder Adamson V

No comments:

Post a Comment